Friday 26 May 2017

I worried about working in psychiatry but one patient taught me how to listen

I worried about working in psychiatry but one patient taught me how to listen It took ages to earn Sandra’s trust – she showed me how people’s lives can be consumed by the cruel fate of mental health problems

In medicine, psychiatry isn’t seen as glamorous. As a student and while training, you fight with your colleagues for the sexy jobs in cardiology, intensive care or on the frontline. When the crash call goes off, it’s dramatic; chest compressions, ventilation, trying to be the hero you see depicted on television. A job in psychiatry wasn’t my first choice, if there was a crisis, what would I do? Come running with my pen and notebook? Not exactly Oscar-winning stuff.

I had my reservations as I was about to embark on 91 days as a doctor in an adult inpatient psychiatric unit. Continue reading... The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment